Ensure your orientation covers the definition, prevention, detection, intervention and treatment, reporting, and interdisciplinary resources.
- Federal definition of child abuse and neglect
- California’s definition of child abuse and neglect
- Analyze the nurse’s role in each level of prevention:
- List the risk factors of abuse, including environmental indicators and disparities in care.
- Illustrate the signs and symptoms of child abuse and neglect.
Address intervention, treatment, and reporting.
- Define California’s requirements for reporting child abuse and neglect:
- Who can report?
- Who is mandated (legally required) to report?
- Where (to whom) is information reported?
- Identify resources for appropriate referral.
- Provide examples of treatment resources available in your area for children affected by abuse and their caregivers.
- Find collaborative resources for abuse and neglect intervention and treatment.
- List interdisciplinary support services for children affected by abuse.
Summarize the differences between child abuse and neglect prevention, detection, intervention, treatment, and reporting, and spousal, elder abuse and/or violence prevention, detection, intervention, treatment, and reporting.
- Are the reporting requirements the same?
- Are all types of abuse and neglect defined the same way?
- How does treatment differ?
- What different resources available for varying types of abuse?
- How do signs and symptoms change with age?
- How does the role of the community nurse change at each level of prevention depending on the type of abuse?
See the grading rubric for this assignment to be sure you address all items.
Format your assignment as one of the following:
- 15- to 20-slide presentation
- 700- to 1,050-word paper
Include at least one peer-reviewed and one evidence-based reference, and an APA-formatted reference page.
Complete your Clinical Plan of Action form for faculty member review and approval. All sites and experiences must be approved by your faculty member before any work or visitation occurs. Remember that the Week 2 assignment cannot be completed until you have an approved clinical plan of action in place.
Submit your assignment.
Copyright 2018 by University of Phoenix. All rights reserved.