Risk-Benefit Analysis of a Controversial Intervention
Consider this scenario: The principal of a local school learned about a facility in Massachusetts that uses an electric shock device as a behavior control procedure. For more information on this device, review the Linscheid et al. article. The principal has requested that parents of one of her school’s students allow this procedure as an intervention to stop the student’s elopement and the aggressive behaviors that have caused injuries, including lacerations and a broken finger, to two teachers. The parents contacted you to seek advice on this matter. You conduct a review of the file and discover a functional behavior assessment has been conducted by a BCaBA on these behaviors, but it appears the BCaBA conducted this assessment without the oversight of a BCBA. Also, records indicate some of the previous treatments used to address these problem behaviors included sensory integration therapy and facilitated communication.
For this assignment, complete the following:
- Consider Bailey and Burch’s risk-benefit analysis model. Recreate and use this worksheet to outline the risks and benefits of this procedure.
- Analyze at least five relevant BACB ethical code elements that are relevant to this procedure.
- Prepare a formal letter to the parents with your recommendations. Include a copy of the worksheet you used with your notes to conduct the risk-benefit analysis.
Other Assignment Requirements
- Written communication: Should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style guidelines.
- Resources: At least 2–4 recent scholarly resources.
- Length: 4–5 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and a references page.
- SafeAssign: You are required to use SafeAssign before submitting the completed assignment to your instructor. Submit your work to SafeAssign as a draft, review the results, and make any needed changes. When you are ready, submit your assignment to the assignment area for grading.
Refer to the Risk-Benefit Analysis of a Controversial Intervention Scoring Guide to ensure you understand the grading criteria for this assignment.
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
Portfolio Prompt: You may choose to save this learning activity to your ePortfolio.
- Risk-Benefit Analysis of a Controversial Intervention Scoring Guide.
- APA Style and Format.
- Writing Feedback Tool.
- Ethics for Behavior Analysts.
The post Prepare a formal letter to the parents with your recommendations. Include a copy of the worksheet you used with your notes to conduct the risk-benefit analysis. appeared first on nursing writers.