Crisis counseling service delivery, because of its demanding nature and unique challenges, is different from any other kind of counseling. In fact, these settings may require more intimate knowledge of professional standards and relevant laws because extreme situations, such as those following a disaster or during a crisis, can produce more ethical uncertainties and require more diligent observance of guidelines than traditional counseling settings. This assignment will help counselors think through these unique circumstances and the challenges counselors working in these settings may face.
In a 3- to 4-page paper, respond to the following:
- Identify three major ethical issues relevant to working with individuals in a crisis or when responding to a major disaster.
- Explain how you would navigate these issues to ensure ethical practice.
- Include strategies for how you would address interagency or interorganization collaboration and communications in a crisis or disaster scenario.
- Determine and explain self-care strategies for counselors working in these settings (e.g., vicarious traumatization or preventing burnout). Include a few personalized strategies for self-care while working in a crisis or disaster situation. .
- Evaluate the role and the process of the professional counselor advocating on behalf of survivors.
Your final product will be in a Microsoft Word document, be approximately 3–4 pages in length. Utilize two to three scholarly sources from professional literature in your research. Professional literature may include the Argosy University online library resources; relevant textbooks; peer-reviewed journal articles; and websites created by professional organizations, agencies, or institutions (.edu or .gov.). Your focus should be on crisis or disaster mental health. Your paper should be written in a clear, concise, and organized manner; demonstrate ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and display accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.